Monday, February 17, 2014

Cheddar Buttons with Pictures & Recipe!!

Recently I took on the task of making my toddler some healthy snacks. I was tired of spending so much money on cheese snacks that I was a little leery of to begin with. SO! I found a super simple and yummy recipe for Cheddar Buttons (or goldfish, I like the buttons because I didn't have a goldfish cookie cutter HA!). It was easy peasy and yielded great results! Though, I will tell you, I burned my last batch because my husband came home and I forgot they were in the oven! Oops!! Haha.

I don't have a food processor so I do it the old fashioned way :)


This is the cheddar dough!

After I rolled it out I used a tip to an icing decorator to make the circles aka "buttons".

All nicely laid out on wax paper ready for the oven!

Cooked to perfection! I was very proud of myself! 

Here is the recipe for any who are interested!! The great thing about this is that the recipe can EASILY be added or changed in MANY different ways! I added broccoli and brussel sprouts to some of the dough (you will need to add a little more flour since the veg is watery!). You could also use any number of cheeses, I used Mild Cheddar, but I think Swiss or Monterey Jack would be interesting! I want to try those next! 

Cheddar Buttons 

Ingredients:
8 ounces Cheddar Cheese, Fine Shredded 4 Tablespoons Butter, Cut Into Cubes Softened 1 cup Flour ¾ teaspoons Salt 2 Tablespoons Cold Water

 Instructions:
Pulse everything (except water) together in the food processor until the dough resembles coarse sand. Pulse in water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove dough from the processor, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes. Roll out the dough and cut into desired shapes. You can use a toothpick to make the eyes and smile if desired. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes, or until crispy. Makes approximately 7 dozen crackers

ENJOY!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment